Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2012 / Beau & Jules  (Read 60023 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2012 / June
« Reply #200 on: June 10, 2012, 13:26 »
Sure do hope the chicks are okay, after last night's rain & hail storm here in Winnipeg.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2012, 21:59 »
2157h
We lost the signal from the modem early today so can't tell you what is happening at this location.  The nest here is oriented the same as the Radisson and has much more "stuff" around it so they might get wet (they don't have a roof like the Radisson site but they do have cover).  Chicks are under ten days old, so Jules should be velcroed to them so long as its raining.

Probably won't get the cam back online until at least Monday.

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2012, 21:33 »
Yay on the chick news!

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2012, 21:02 »
That and don't forget to be signed on with Dennis so that wonderful photos arrive as emails!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2012, 20:27 »
Thank you so much for the update, Tracy!!!  I was so afraid I had missed some catastrophe!  It is wonderful to know that all three Manitoba publicly monitored sites are doing so well, and one of the besttimes of my day is when I check in on them! 

Cathy :)

I'm with you Cathy - best part of my day as well!

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2012, 17:41 »
Well it's that time of year, the first Peregrine chicks have been banded and we have 2 more nest site to band...which means that you will be receiving a number of Peregrine photos over the summer mixed with Osprey just for a change...along with anything else that fly's.

Each location provides a different set-up for photographing...and each pair react differently when you enter their nesting area. As all birds appear to look the same until you have a close look...each bird has identifying marks and call.
This is now the fun part of the year...hope you enjoy.

Anyone wishing to be added to my photo list can email me...it's just that simple.

Cheers !
Dennis
ps. it's also fun prepping frozen nest boxes and removing meal remains from the season before in March...

Offline Cathy179

• Hatchling
« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2012, 14:16 »
Thank you so much for the update, Tracy!!!  I was so afraid I had missed some catastrophe!  It is wonderful to know that all three Manitoba publicly monitored sites are doing so well, and one of the besttimes of my day is when I check in on them! 

Cathy :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2012, 10:51 »
Is there any kind of update as to what is happening with this nest/nestsite?  I may have missed something but just wondering.  It has been alot of fun following the Raddison and Brandon sites but little has been posted about this one, perhaps due to the ned to keep the location secure and undisturbed.  Cathy

Not much news but so far it is all good from what we can see.  The chicks have hatched, we know three for sure, but we have to wait until they are a wee bit bigger to confirm that the fourth has hatched as well because of the camera/lighting angles.  When the chicks are banding age, we are planning to move them to a safer location like we did last year.  Until then, we are just watching and waiting.  And if something does happen (knock on wood it doesn't) then we will post it here.

Offline Cathy179

• Hatchling
« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2012, 06:45 »
Is there any kind of update as to what is happening with this nest/nestsite?  I may have missed something but just wondering.  It has been alot of fun following the Raddison and Brandon sites but little has been posted about this one, perhaps due to the ned to keep the location secure and undisturbed.  Cathy

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #191 on: June 05, 2012, 06:03 »
Thank you for all that. You are a walking encyclopedia of Peregrinuia.
Yet another word for the famous dictionary!

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #190 on: June 05, 2012, 05:03 »
"Hope that answers your question ..."

Yes it does, thanks.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #189 on: June 04, 2012, 14:39 »
When Jules nested here before, there was technically no scrape, she was just pigheaded enough(no scratch that), stubborn enough(scratch that one too), DETERMINED to nest here.

love your comments.   :)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
West Winnipeg - 2012 / June
« Reply #188 on: June 04, 2012, 12:59 »
When Jules nested here before, there was technically no scrape, she was just pigheaded enough(no scratch that), stubborn enough(scratch that one too), DETERMINED to nest here.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #187 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21 »
Can't something be done with the undesirable  spot to make it not desirable for them to pick? 

We did in fact have plans in place to prevent Jules from nesting at this location but we couldn't get access before she be began laying - yet another security concern. 

;)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #186 on: June 04, 2012, 10:07 »
Can't something be done with the undesirable  spot to make it not desirable for them to pick?