Manitoba Peregrines > McKenzie Seeds Peregrines

McKenzie Seeds - 2012 / Brooklyn & Hurricane

(1/253) > >>

RCF:

--- Quote from: The Peregrine Chick on October 06, 2012, 00:11 ---
As for the black/red bird, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a) s/he is still around downtown tomorrow and b) you and your camera are able to visit.  No pressure though, real life, especially on a Thanksgiving Weekend, has to take precedence!

--- End quote ---

We didn't see any falcons at either place today :(, so I guess they have migrated.  The only excitement for us was a Red-tailed hawk that landed on the McKenzie and Scotia buildings and it actually took a few dives at the pigeons.  8)

RCF:

--- Quote from: The Peregrine Chick on October 06, 2012, 00:11 ---Thanks RCF - glad to think that Dennis and I weren't talking to Hurricane and calling her by the wrong name!!  ;D

As for the black/red bird, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a) s/he is still around downtown tomorrow and b) you and your camera are able to visit.  No pressure though, real life, especially on a Thanksgiving Weekend, has to take precedence!

--- End quote ---

I will be checking today but there was no birdie yesterday and I just saw gulls at the Tower site, not even a Raven.

The Peregrine Chick:
Thanks RCF - glad to think that Dennis and I weren't talking to Hurricane and calling her by the wrong name!!  ;D

RCF:

--- Quote from: The Peregrine Chick on October 04, 2012, 22:40 --- Might even be that the bird we saw a week ago wasn't Hurricane

--- End quote ---

I am very sure the bird you saw on that Saturday was Hurricane.  ;)  I also saw her that morning and afternoon on the north side of the Scotia building.  They all have their own distinguishing features and I think you would probably recognize Princess just by looking at her and would know the difference from another falcon better than anyone. It would be the same with Hurricane for me and I pretty much saw Hurricane everyday for six months.  I knew right away the bird with the black /red band was not Hurricane.  My very first thought was it's Brooklyn because Hurricane is very dark on the breast and not white like the birdie that I saw yesterday.  Another reason is I have never seen Hurricane sit on a window sill on the Scotia building, only on the east or west Scotia sign and the north ledge under the louvers.   If she ever sat on a Scotia bldg window sill, it would be when I wasn't looking.  ;D

The Peregrine Chick:
Thanks RCF for the photos ... the most likely answer is that yes, it is Alice you saw on the Scotia Bank building by McKenzie Seeds, however (sorry), I can't be 100% sure.  The numbers/letters on the band are clearly visible (you did very well considering the distance you were shooting from!) but it seems to me that the digits look more rounded than Alice's band number - her band number is 16/K - so the 6 is rounded but the K on the red isn't.  Could very easily just be crap stuck to the band - feathers, scratches, whatever - or it could be another bird.  We did have 3 unidentified birds at the Tower site this year - the male with Alice and the earlier pair - any or all of them could have been from south of the border technically. 

Having said that, given the time of the year and the location, I daresay it is Alice, just can't say 100% sure from the photos.  Might even be that the bird we saw a week ago wasn't Hurricane - the bird we saw was in exactly the same location so we will have to go through Dennis' photos very carefully.  It was definitely Alice at the Tower site when we were there but I haven't seen bands on the bird we saw on the Scotia Bank building.

It may also be that like the Radisson site, the McKenzie Seeds site will be the most coveted nestsite in Brandon and when the resident pair leave, the Tower pair can come down and visit - unfortunately with the camera equipment in my living room, no way to check out the nestbox like I was today at the Radisson, so I'm afraid you are our lone eyes (and camera) in Brandon right now RCF and we may not manage to conclusively solve this mystery before the little beggars, oops, darlings, bolt from the province ...

... can't wait to hear who you spot where tomorrow!!  Saturday looks nice as well  ;) ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version