Author Topic: Red-tailed Hawk - NYC / Bobby & Rosie  (Read 6707 times)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Red-tailed Hawk - NYC / Bobby & Rosie (2012)
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 22:10 »
Thanks for the screen capture, rcf! 

I agree, TPC, they're very cute, but there are definitely no cuter beings than Peregrine chicks! :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 20:35 »
They remind me a bit of Ookpiks at this age. ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 12:32 »
I caught a feeding at 8:15 this morning.  :-*

Its amazing how different their chicks look from peregrine chicks at the same age ... theirs are cute, but ours are cuter I'm afraid  ;)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 08:51 »
Thanks for those RCF! I watched for quite a while last night hoping to get a peek at the two of them, but Rosie seemed to have an innate ability to position herself between the camera and her babes.

She did the same thing this morning just after my last screen cap.  ::)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 08:41 »
Thanks for those RCF! I watched for quite a while last night hoping to get a peek at the two of them, but Rosie seemed to have an innate ability to position herself between the camera and her babes.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 08:30 »
And...more news from the red tailed hawk nest......eyass #2 hatched!  Wonderful to see!  

I caught a feeding at 8:15 this morning.  :-*

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 21:59 »
No, Violet was not injured by any materials on the nest.  It, unfortunately was her ID band. 

And...more news from the red tailed hawk nest......eyass #2 hatched!  Wonderful to see! 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 17:55 »
What a beautiful looking red-tailed hawk, that Rosie is! :D Nest has been made with all kinds of bits of twine and rope, as well as twigs, etc. Sure do hope that the new mama doesn't get caught in any of these bits of twine/rope, as Violet did last season. :(

Keep in mind that these are raptors that are capable of tearing apart their prey - rope/twine is an organic product and if the bird couldn't remove it, it will just rot off after a bit of time - that's why falconers use leather, if a bird takes off, their jesses rot off soon enough.  If its more of a man-made product, they should be able to work it off in most cases.  Getting caught, ie getting their foot snag and not being able to reach their foot that would be of more concern.  And of the two bands that birds like ours have on, the FWS band is the one that I've seen removed more often than the coloured band.  One of the Regina birds (and a Manitoba bird) back in the late 1990s, was missing its FWS/CWS band when it returned one year - nothing wrong with the bird's foot but no silver band.

And raptors get banged up on their feet - we had a bird with "bumble-foot" (a bacterial infection) and you couldn't believe a bird's foot could swell up that much, it was amazing.  Took a long time for the vets to resolve the issue but it worked out in the end.  Annoyed the bird though.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 17:37 »
What a beautiful looking red-tailed hawk, that Rosie is! :D Nest has been made with all kinds of bits of twine and rope, as well as twigs, etc. Sure do hope that the new mama doesn't get caught in any of these bits of twine/rope, as Violet did last season. :( 

I don't think Violet was injured by bits of twine/rope last season.  Scroll down the page to 14th paragraph for information.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/hawk-cam-the-story-of-violets-leg-band/

Experts, including Dr. Elizabeth Bunting, the wildlife veterinarian who observed Violet up close on May 12, have speculated that Violet may have sustained an injury in the last year or so, such as a bite from a squirrel or other prey, and that the swelling in her leg from that injury pushed the band up from her ankle to her shin, where it is now lodged.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 13:38 »

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 11:00 »
Woot! We have one little eyass in the nest today, one egg left to hatch and dinner warming (Rosie also has a dead mouse under her!).

Watched Rosie feed the young'un (so cute, with its wobbly head) while Bobby watched from the sidelines.  :D

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 16:56 »
Ooh, checked on this cam today. Bobby and new mate Rosie have two eggs!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 19:27 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 02:15 »
This news about Violet's death is very sad. :'( I had wondered if that injury to her leg would continue to give her problems. I am glad, however, that Bobby has found a new mate and that they will continue to occupy the same nest. Is it not a dangerous place to nest, TPC, being so close to a large window? :-\

Not in terms of colliding with it, birds slow right down when they enter nests - doesn't always look like it on the webcam but they are very controlled enter/exiting their nests, so no worries there.  Depending on the angle/direction of the window, reflection of sunlight could be a problem for the chicks, but that is something we will just have to wait and see about.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 19:27 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Red-tailed Hawk - NYC / Bobby & Rosie (2011)
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 10:45 »
This news about Violet's death is very sad. :'( I had wondered if that injury to her leg would continue to give her problems. I am glad, however, that Bobby has found a new mate and that they will continue to occupy the same nest. Is it not a dangerous place to nest, TPC, being so close to a large window? :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 23:56 »
Sad news from New York - Violet the Red-tailed Hawk died on Dec 29th, 2011

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/category/hawk-cam-live-from-the-nest/

you can scroll back through the stories to catch up on her last month ... her leg took a turn for the worse and they tried to help her but to no avail I'm afraid.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 09:44 »
Posted on the website on 11/08/11...

One last bow for Violet & Bobby

"They came back for a curtain call.

A few hours before the Hawk Cam was to go dark for the season, the red-tailed hawk parents Bobby and Violet made a surprise visit to their 12th-floor nest high above Washington Square Park at about 1:30 Thursday afternoon.

The couple had not been seen on the nest at the same time since around the time that their daughter Pip fledged in late June.

Violet, who had not been spotted either on the nest or out in the wider world since July 18, was a particularly welcome sight. Her right leg with the band on it remains swollen, but she seemed well and perfectly functional.

The pair performed a quick home inspection, then shifted some sticks around — a bit of seemingly routine housecleaning that boded very well for those hoping for a second season of the urban-nature reality show “Bobby and Violet Hatch an Egg.”

Bobby jetted off a few minutes later.

Violet stuck around for almost 40 minutes (the whole video is archived and can be viewed here starting at about 1 hour 43 minutes). Then she, too, flew off."

So nice to hear that Violet's ankle, although still swollen from her injury in May, is okay and that she seems to be functioning well.  :)
Here is a link to the video from yesterday, the last before the webcam went down for the season...

http://www.livestream.com/nytnestcam/video?clipId=pla_950b8ca5-b8af-47c2-90c2-dcac7e1ed0ba&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 22:54 »
I hope it will work as well but it will definitely depend on what she decides to do when she sees someone on the ledge or the net approaching her.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 21:44 »
Your welcome kinderchick. You guys usually have everything covered long before i get to stuff so i excitedly posted the link so I looked smart like everyone else on this forum;).

Seriously though, I sure hope the plans they have for Violet are successful.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 20:27 »
Thank you for this link, irenekl. :-* It is very informative.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 13:16 »
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/29/hawk-cam-updates-from-the-nest/#medical-emergency-violet-in-trouble

This is the page where all the information is regarding how they intend to help Violet.  Very informative & interesting.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 11:52 »
Well, that's a relief to hear about the tag around her leg not being a piece of plastic garbage. Whew! But as bcf has said, I sure hope they can catch her, remove it and treat her.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 11:45 »
I don't think I've ever seen a nest with so much garbage on a web cam. It's kind of shocking. I hope the tag that is hurting her leg can be moved/removed and the leg can be treated so that  she's okay.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 09:37 »
Update on Violet is that the thing around her leg is actually a metal wildlife tag placed by a researcher. The tags, as we know, usually sit loosely at the "ankle" but this one was somehow forced up to her "shin" area. The plan now is to try to capture her, remove the tag and treat her with antibiotics and get her back to the nest so she can continue to raise her baby(ies).  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 18:05 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 20:03 »
... But the hawk family has a serious problem. In addition to the concern about rat poison being used nearby, Violet seems to have strip of plastic wrapped around her leg causing her leg to swell. She may lose her leg and/or get sick from infection...

...The dangers of plastics/trash/human disregard played out right before our eyes!
This is very sad to hear, indeed.  :(

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 13:34 »
I watched Violet feed her little one. What a great job and baby is a little pig! S/he will have a jump on his sibs if the other eggs do hatch.

But the hawk family has a serious problem. In addition to the concern about rat poison being used nearby, Violet seems to have strip of plastic wrapped around her leg causing her leg to swell. She may lose her leg and/or get sick from infection

From the site:

Hawk Cam | Assessing Violet’s Situation |

"University officials and Robert and Cathy Horvath, the Long Island-based hawk rehabilitators whom City Room has been consulting, are meeting at N.Y.U. on Saturday afternoon to assess Violet’s medical situation. A blue plastic line of some sort is wrapped around one leg, and her foot has become severely swollen. She still flew out of the nest on Saturday morning, returning to Eyass No. 1, her baby hawk born on Friday and to be named by City Room readers."

The dangers of plastics/trash/human disregard played out right before our eyes!

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 10:13 »
Bobby and Violet did know best! Baby hawk hatched this morning! Happy Mother's Day Violet!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 15:51 »
I have got the camera minimized on my computer, checking in periodically!
I keep wondering if the cam is actually working because Violet rarely/barely moves!

Anyway, she does, but it's watching paint dry but like watching! 
Still nothing yet......

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 14:08 »
Watched for about 45 minutes, and finally got to see some action. Saw a parent trade off and witnessed three seemingly intact eggs. However, whoever the parent is that took over has been fussing for the last half hour. He/she took a piece of cardboard from underneath the eggs and spent some time repositioning it; pecking away and moving bits of twigs and other vegetation in the nest; repositioning the eggs; repositioning self. I'm guessing this is all in aid of temperature control. (Pure guess, but sounds good to me!)

As I understand hatching does create some heat, I'm taking this as a hopeful sign that something's going on, finally. Hope so!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 16:43 »
Yes, I did read on the website where someone had posted that they thought a chick had hatched. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 16:14 »
As far as I know, none of the eggs have hatched yet and there is concern that they may not. I haven't been lucky enough to catch the parents off the eggs to see anything for myself (and I've checked in quite regularly). Most of the reports say there are three still uncracked eggs like birdcamfan saw. So it looks like the expert may have been a bit hasty (or the info provided to him/her was). Someone recently posted that they thought they saw something that might be chick peeking out from underneath, so there's still some hope things will go alright for the birds.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 15:10 »
Yes, very popular webcam. Over 3,700 viewers watching the webcam while I was watching. :o Wish I could see the chicks. Does anyone know how many there are?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 15:12 by Kinderchick »

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 18:32 »
Thank you for posting that. She is very pretty. She just stood up and moved the eggs around and there are three intact looking eggs there. It is a very popular site. There were almost 2500 viewers while I was watching.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Red-tailed Hawk - NYC / Bobby & Rosie
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 14:23 »
Eggs are hatching as we watch. Violet, such a patient Mom.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/category/hawk-cam-live-from-the-nest/

Update May 3, 2011:
It appears there won't be any chicks afterall. As of today, the experts are saying that the eggs probably were not viable in the first place (that the couple just didn't get the "birds and bees" thing quite right). The parents did all the right egg tending things (and still are and may for some time to come yet) but the eggs aren't going to hatch. Although they say the birds aren't sad, it does seem sad to watch Violet and Bobby do all the right things but no reward.

***UPDATE MAY 6, 2011***

How wonderful to be wrong! Baby hawk hatched this morning! Ain't nature grand.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:11 by Cooper »