Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson  (Read 41948 times)

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2011 / ? & Radisson
« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2011, 09:19 »
Ah poor girl, hopefully she's alright.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2011, 07:35 »
It is really good that such a stressful day had such a happy ending. :)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2011, 00:16 »
Peter, Bob, Carol and I were at the CSB until about 10:00 tonight.  As you already read through Bev, Yellow flew back to the CSB to be with his siblings about 4:30 p.m., and he was fine, apparently flew like a pro.  Nothing really eventful happened for a while; mom came over and fed Blue, who had catwalked over to the edge of the building, while his sisters were still on the black mesh, and Yellow was close by, then Miss Green decided she was not staying on the mesh anymore while Blue was eating along with his brother, at the other end of the roof, so she jumped down and walked over to them and stole the food, and the boys did not have much to say about this.  But then, Miss Green wanted to get back to her sister, and she catwalked along the edge, back and forth for a while, trying to figure out how to get back up to the nestbox, where her sister had gone, but this seemed a leap too far for her.  While she was catwalking, she lost her balance and landed on the top of the pillar below the ledge she was walking on.  She scared us, because we thought she was going to fall, but she stuck to that pillar like glue, and it is just large and wide enough for her.  Well, she was not happy there, but she didn't move, not even when dad came back to give her sister in the nestbox some food.  We watched her until about 10 p.m., when we could hardly see anything anymore, as we were worried that she would try to jump up on the ledge, and wouldn't make it; you could see her looking over the situation, but she was not confident about moving.  When I left, I was pretty confident that if she did not move when dad came in with food, she wasn't going to move for the rest of the night.  I could be wrong, but I hope not. 

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2011, 21:27 »
Happy Anniversary Bev and Peter, what a great way to end the day with Yellow flying out of his predicament.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2011, 21:25 »
Sounds like you had a very good day bev and Happy Anniversary to you and Peter.  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2011, 21:04 »
Part 2 of post from this morning.

I phoned Gord, which is another story, and Gord told me to phone him around 2pm(he was on his way back to town) and he would come down. We kept a close eye on yellow and  thank goodness the others behaved.

Gord came down but he said if he went out on the roof of this other building , he would spook yellow, as he was too close to edge and  we  would have a bad ending (like happened to our yellow female last year, when people knocked on windows). If we left him , he would try himself and end up on ground or if he could get through small opening, the road or parkade. ( Yellow was surrounded by walls and windows and one small space )

About 4pm, Dad realized yellow could not do what he wanted ( and I am putting human responses here, because you could just see all day what he was  trying to get yellow to do) . Dad flew a bit up from yellow ad flew swiftly through the small opening , up over parkade I was on, and right up to Campus tower. Two minutes later , yellow just took off, just as swiftly and flew right over my head and I knew he could not make it to dads building, but he lifted up and went right on  a balcony floor of Windsor apartments.(right  next door) He wavered as he went in and that slowed him down. I phoned Jean, who lives in those apartments and she went to notify people who lived there to please stay away from balcony and windows there.
So yellow was 11 balconies from top . A good height. And  then up he popped on balcony.  Dad went over and landed on balcony above him and then flew off .What a great flight he had. I was shouting , go yellow , head for extenison building , but he did one better(by the way, I think the truck from funny farm is coming to get me :) :) ).

So when Bob and Carol arrived I headed home. Peter just called me about 20 minutes ago and yellow flew all the way back and  dipsi-doodled and flew right back up to roof ledge with Blue.  :-*  :-*that was a great flight. Peter said he looked great.    :-*

So now , I thank Maggie , who came out and  stayed longer , till Gord came. I just love that hubby of mine. He left work at 1:30 pm, so I would not be alone.( and it is our 39th anniversary today) DAve was off work early , and came down to help keep watch. Becky came over at her lunch break and then left work an hour early to help keep watch. .  Jean came down and brought  me coffee and kept watch from her apartment. We could not have done this without her the last few days. BArb came from work and stayed till Bob and Carol. came. And Elaine heads down at 7pm tonight.

so a big thanks  :-* :-* :) :)

And radisson kept watch over the girls and went up and beak fed Blue band male for over 30 minutes.

the end.
now I need a hot tea, a martini , a hot both and  finally some ZZZZ's
the back tomorrow.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2011, 21:00 »
Friday ,july 15,2011

Well , you have been getting the news from Peter and Elaine. thanks to them both.
One thing I will say first. I am real proud of myself because I did not panic , as I usually do. I kept calm and hopeful.

I knew yellow would go today . When I got there blue started cat -walking on ledge below box. He found a bit to eat and carried it with him to other side of roof ledge. Like dragging a mouse  ;D
He hopped down, and shortly after , he popped up. A bit later dad came in and hopped down and brought up a piece of prey. I think it was same piece (blue has trouble self-feeding ,as he is smallest of our 4). He took it to blue and blue tried eating some and then hopped down again.

Yellow was up on roof eating and then hopped down to mesh.
He suddenly left mesh and was in flight to north of Maz (in between clinical and Maz) I was just about to run to ground when he came back and landed on bottom wrung of the circle stairs attached to white structure. Sloppy landing but he was safe and then he dropped to roof ledge below box, with Blue. ( i should have known he was O.K. becasue Radisson did not move from where she was , just watched. she would have seen his every move)
Green band went up to roof for leftovers right after Yellow fledged(little miss Piggy) Red band girl followed not long after.

Once yellow was with blue they catwalked to together along ledge, but I think yellow got too close to blues food and blue started flapping and accidentally knocked yellow off. Yellow tried to recover but he was not strong enough and landed on a lower roof inbetween clinical science and Maz. I thought he would be O.k. but then he slipped down that roof and was quite a bind. Try as he may to get out he could not. kept hitting a wall. (not too hard)

I want to add here. I am so impressed with Radison and DAd. Yellow was dads' responsibility for the day. He kept trying to show yellow how to get out. since 9:30am this morning. And yellow tried.

continued in nest post

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2011, 20:54 »
Great to hear. What a great parent :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2011, 20:04 »
Wow! This is such good news! I am so glad to hear that Yellow was able to get out of the hole he was stuck in and take flight with his dad. :D I hope all will be well for him on that balcony and that he will be able to fledge successfully from there, without any more mishaps.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2011, 19:31 »
Good ole Dad!!!!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2011, 19:10 »
That escape of plucky Mr Yellow with Dad"s assistance must have been thrilling to watch, and especially so after the hours of anxiety knowing the chick was stuck.

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #185 on: July 15, 2011, 18:26 »
That is wonderful news. Yeah Dad to the rescue. Thanks you for the update.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2011, 17:55 »
Wonderful news!!  Dad to the rescue and little one has learned how to get out of a tough situation.  Thank you so much for the update  ;D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2011, 17:10 »
Just heard from Bev.  They did not attempt to rescue Yellow from his tight situation, as the biologist, on the telephone, had discouraged this, for fear of an injury.  But Dad, in his efforts to show Yellow what to do, kept on flying through the only area where Yellow could gain altitude and get out, and apparently Yellow was watching closely, as when Dad did a recent fly-by, he followed him up and out, then continued to follow Dad over to the apartment building, Windsor Towers, about two blocks southwest from where he had been stuck, and here he wavered, but then landed on the 11th floor balcony of this building, to the cheers of the watch crew beneath him on the nearby parkade.  Bev was thrilled.  She had yelled encouragement to him the whole time, and Yellow proved to be a brave little bird. 

As it happens, a lady who lives in this apartment building saw all the action, and knows Bev and all about the fledge watch, so she called Bev and said that she would notify the people who live in that apartment to not go out on to their balcony, for fear of scaring off Yellow, of course. 

Bev is ready for a rest after all this, and there are four of us heading down there shortly for evening duty.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2011, 15:14 »
...According to Elaine's later post (12:16) Yellow's not on the bridge structure anymore but in some form of hole on the roof of another nearby building...
Ah, yes, now I recall reading that. ::) Thanks, bob. Well, talons crossed for a positive outcome. Will be thinking of all of you and waiting for updates.