Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2011 / Beau & Jules  (Read 89434 times)

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2011 / June
« Reply #319 on: June 26, 2011, 20:54 »
Checked out the WW birds at about 2:30.

Saw one sitting where I expected. This one started to get very vocal, so the other one popped up and joined the first. The first one continued to be vocal, jump off the railing, did a quick circle and returned to the railing. The second one dropped out of sight for a moment. When this happened the first one dropped down, rousted the second, and then once again both were on the railing. All the while the first one was cacking up a storm. Then the first one took off, headed toward the diner. The second one dropped back down out of sight. So I swung around and headed toward the diner to see if the first one made it there. Sure enough there was the first one on the NW corner of the building. Then it was time for me to head home.
Interesting report, but if you caused such a disturbance, I would think twice about doing it again.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #318 on: June 26, 2011, 17:17 »
1717 hrs

Jules is back in the tuppernest with her little one ...

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #317 on: June 26, 2011, 15:46 »
Checked out the WW birds at about 2:30.

Saw one sitting where I expected. This one started to get very vocal, so the other one popped up and joined the first. The first one continued to be vocal, jump off the railing, did a quick circle and returned to the railing. The second one dropped out of sight for a moment. When this happened the first one dropped down, rousted the second, and then once again both were on the railing. All the while the first one was cacking up a storm. Then the first one took off, headed toward the diner. The second one dropped back down out of sight. So I swung around and headed toward the diner to see if the first one made it there. Sure enough there was the first one on the NW corner of the building. Then it was time for me to head home.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #316 on: June 26, 2011, 11:57 »
It will be great to see the banding photos!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #315 on: June 26, 2011, 11:28 »
Awwww!  I feel so sad for these solo chicks!  We can't see this one, but Tracy, you describe his/her circumstances so well it's just like being there.  I feel badly for Jules and Beau as well, with this less-then-ideal nest site.  Once again, I'm struck with the perseverance and stoicism of these birds.  Of all Nature in fact.  :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #314 on: June 26, 2011, 11:20 »
Beau and Jules have been stressed at this site this year, despite the best efforts by the building tenants to disturb them as little as possible.  Last time Jules tried to nest here, she only made it half way through incubation before she realized her eggs were too damaged to be viable.  So she's never been here this long or rather been so protective/defensive for this long.  Last year's site wasn't disturbance free (no site is) but it was better than this.  I'm hoping that that will help to deter her from this site ever again.  Last year we managed to keep her off, this year with the loss of the 2010 site, I think she just wasn't going to take any chances with a "new" site and it didn't matter what we did.  Next year we have new plans to keep her from this particular location. 

I think Beau really (really) hates this site now.  He spends almost no time with the chick these days, its all Jules.  During incubation he used to come in at night and stay awake all night on the egg and when the chick was a couple of days old.  Almost never saw him during the day.  Haven't seen him at the nest in 4-5 days, but have watched him hand-over food mid-air and do some straffing runs at the building but until last hour, I hadn't seen him on the cameras, day or night for days.  He stayed for about 20 minutes then he left.  Jules came in a few minutes later and was parked on the chick for 1/2 hour and now she's off again. 

Little solo chick is not so very small anymore, sitting up, looking around, wandering the tuppernest, starting to preen and napping.  Likes to nap does this one.  Prefers to nap at his/her parents' feet though whether they are actually in the tuppernest with him/her or perched on the edge.  Chick is ten days old today but Jules is so protective that I suspect she'll stick closer for longer.  And being a solo, this chick won't fuss about it - Mom and Dad are its chickpile after all.  On the other hand, being a solo, this chick will probably (yes, this is a generalization) fledge early because s/he doesn't want to be left behind anymore.  We have had 4 nests with solos and they all fledged a bit early as I recall.  Ibon and Ena were incident free.  Sherpa went very early, went to ground, was re-released as he was uninjured - he turned up in Winnipeg a few years later.  Heather was our only solo Brandon chick - she did injure herself at or shortly after fledging and was non-releaseable.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #313 on: June 26, 2011, 11:20 »
Will you be banding this singleton, TPC? 
Does this location allow for removing the chick from the parents sight for the procedure?

Yes, we will definitely be banding this "solo" chick bcbird.  And yes, we can get the chick out of sight for the procedure.  Have no idea if we will be filming it but Dennis will take photos so everyone will eventually get a really good look at him/her.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #312 on: June 26, 2011, 00:50 »
Will you be banding this singleton, TPC? 
Does this location allow for removing the chick from the parents sight for the procedure?

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #311 on: June 25, 2011, 21:08 »
Sure would be great to see "little Sumo" from WW ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #310 on: June 25, 2011, 19:28 »
Our WW chick has been uncovered with a parent nearby almost all day, not on him/her but on the edge of the tupperbox above him/her.  Watching that I realized that this chick is 9 days old as of today and almost old enough to fully thermoregulate on their own.  Over the next week s/he will be get much bigger very fast and will be starting to get that fluffy marshmallow look they get right before banding age.

They are all growing up so fast  :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #309 on: June 25, 2011, 14:37 »
Jules has been monopolizing time with the chick over the last couple of days ... don't know if its her preference (like Princess) or if its because she's feeling more defensive.  Chick is growing by leaps and bounds though, it was doing some clumsy preening it looked like a bit earlier ...

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #308 on: June 24, 2011, 19:43 »
Almost set your watch by the feedings...Jr. 1st. in line for the 7:45 feeding again  ???

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #307 on: June 24, 2011, 19:41 »
I feel sorry for the WW chick...he/she doesn't get to enjoy the warm,cozy feeling of a "Chick Pile"

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #306 on: June 24, 2011, 17:16 »
Holy Cats - WW chicks is huge!!!  :o It was tiny before I lost my internet access when I was on the road, now it is gargantuan for its age, or at least that's how it looks to me!

lol - now we are really anxious to see photos!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #305 on: June 24, 2011, 16:14 »
Holy Cats - WW chicks is huge!!!  :o It was tiny before I lost my internet access when I was on the road, now it is gargantuan for its age, or at least that's how it looks to me!

suma wrestler perhaps  ;)