Manitoba Peregrines > Radisson Peregrines
Radisson - 2011 / Ivy & Princess
The Peregrine Chick:
--- Quote from: Leana on July 04, 2011, 10:02 ---Tracy, if I might ask, how did you discover what had happened? Was it caught on one of the cameras? And do Princess and Ivy "know" Fyfe is gone?
--- End quote ---
This is where having peregrine fans working in the downtown is wonderful. Carmen works in a building nearby and her husband dropped her off then recognized what he was seeing as he was continuing his commute. He contacted Carmen and Carmen contact me.
Because of the rain this morning, Dennis and I both knew we could get a later start today as the peregrines don't like to fly in the rain - particularly the chicks. Looks like he took off as soon as the rain stopped. As for the parents, Princess watched us from overhead and then flew back to the Radisson tower as we were heading to our vehicles with Fyfe.
The Peregrine Chick:
Looking back at the video and from watching Fyfe yesterday, I suspect that he fledged by accident Sunday morning. Both he and Carson were wingercizing and off they went together. Kind of hard to tell but I suspect Fyfe followed Carson. Carson has been a couple/three days ahead of his male sibs throughout development so he may well have been fledging on schedule and Fyfe decided to follow. Fyfe has been following his brothers a great deal of the the last week. Carson hopped to the ledge first, followed by Cade a day later, then Fyfe made a couple of forays, but he wasn't nearly as strong or confident as Carson or Cade on the ledge or on the box edge. Watching the three boys, I suspect that Fyfe might have been our last hatch on the 26th, which would have made him 38 days old when he fledged, 39 days old when he died. The 39-42 days old is right on the borderline, so technically, Carson is borderline as well and until we see him again we won't know how he has fared either. Some birds have done fine fledging early, older birds fledging later have come to harm, so no real way to tell, its all up to the fledgling I'm afraid.
We'll let you all know if we catch sight of Carson today ...
Saoirse:
Beautiful photo, Dennis (as always!). Fyfe truly was a handsome peregrine falcon.
Doreen:
--- Quote from: Leana on July 04, 2011, 10:02 ---That beautiful picture did me in. Sitting at my desk with tears in my eyes.
--- End quote ---
Me too! I'm glad I'm at home today and not at work. :'(
Leana:
That beautiful picture did me in. Sitting at my desk with tears in my eyes. Good thing we have private cubicles. ::)
Tracy, if I might ask, how did you discover what had happened? Was it caught on one of the cameras? And do Princess and Ivy "know" Fyfe is gone?
Again... how very sad. :'(
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
[*] Previous page
Go to full version