Author Topic: NY / Rochester - 2008-15  (Read 31943 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Rochester - 2010 / Archer & Beauty
« Reply #249 on: January 15, 2010, 14:08 »
Tis the fate of successful nestsites ... they are popular/sought-after sites for a reason ...

If Mariah should try to retake the site, she could well do it - remember last year Beauty expended effort fighting for her site than raising young.  Mariah had lots of food and rest instead.  Don't discount the value of a forced sabbatical!

Looks like Rochester is going to be as interesting as last  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Rochester - 2010 / Archer & Beauty
« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2010, 08:12 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

And the fighting begins already!  Beauty had a brief aerial battle with another female yesterday but it was NOT Mariah this time.  

http://rfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1116.msg7017#msg7017

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Rochester - 2009 / Archer & Beauty
« Reply #247 on: December 30, 2009, 15:16 »
That was the year I started watching Mariah and Kyver and was so impressed by the pair. 

I hope Sabrina, LOL, has a successful season this year. I remember at the time we discussed whether she was male becasue she fledged so much ahead of the others and was such a strong flier.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #246 on: December 17, 2009, 22:34 »
An update on Sabrina, one of Mariah and Kaver's chicks from 2006, on Imprints:

You may recall that back in April we learned that Sabrina, from Mariah and Kaver’s 2006 brood, had taken residence in a nest box on the Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge. Two strong signals on the morning of the 30th place Quest within one mile (1.6 km) of the bridge. Could she have been paying a visit to her brother?

Did you catch that? Yep, we said brother. It’s not a typo. Courtesy of June Summers comes word that the folks monitoring the nest box on the Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge witnessed mating between our Sabrina and the other resident female, with Sabrina in the male role. June attended a recent state-wide Audubon Society conference where she recieved the news. She also learned that Sabrina/Valiant and his mate produced one eyas this year which unfortunately did not survive. So our supposition that Sabrina is a male has been verified, and it looks like a name change is in order!

It's always great to hear news of another of Mariah and Kaver's offspring. 2006 was the year when Mariah had a very serious leg injury during the breeding season -- the leg appeared to be fractured and she was unable to use it at all. She laid six eggs that year. Kaver stepped up and did almost everything while Mariah was injured. Three of the chicks survived.

Sabrina as a juvie: photo by Jim Pisello.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #245 on: November 13, 2009, 21:18 »
Speaking of the Queen!  I sent an email to the Lennox Power Plant this week regarding Quest (Mariahs' girl with the transmitter) and got a reply back! 

They are going to keep an eye out for her as she has been tracking in the area for the past month or so.  They said they have a nest box there on one of the towers but it has never been occupied - I know from Frank it was a hack box once upon a time! 

Thank you for the update, Carly! It's good news that there is a nest box on one of the towers. I was wondering if anyone on the forum is anywhere near this area - it would be great if someone could actually have a sighting of Quest there.

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #244 on: November 13, 2009, 21:09 »
Great captures - thanks!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #243 on: November 13, 2009, 06:24 »
Speaking of the Queen!  I sent an email to the Lennox Power Plant this week regarding Quest (Mariahs' girl with the transmitter) and got a reply back! 

They are going to keep an eye out for her as she has been tracking in the area for the past month or so.  They said they have a nest box there on one of the towers but it has never been occupied - I know from Frank it was a hack box once upon a time! 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #242 on: November 12, 2009, 20:33 »
Oh she is a beauty!  VERY happy to see her!!!  She looks fantastic!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #241 on: November 12, 2009, 20:29 »
It's so good to know that Mariah has been positively identified (and she has been seen at the mall again). She looks in really good condition, strong, healthy and beautiful.

Photos by Joyce:

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #240 on: October 25, 2009, 16:07 »
Very happy to know that Mariah is still here and strong!

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #239 on: October 25, 2009, 15:48 »
I've seen a short/ abreviated version of the yippee/skippee/falcon dance.
Totally and completely happy, goofy look on the face making. ;D ;D

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #238 on: October 25, 2009, 15:22 »
Glad to see Mariah is still around & looking good.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #237 on: October 25, 2009, 14:11 »
North of the border the "falcon dance" is called the "yippee-skippee"  ;D

(and if you have no idea what "falcon dance" I'm talking about, click here for the Rochester Falcon Forum entry

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #236 on: October 24, 2009, 16:12 »
After no sightings for a long while, the Queen has been spotted!!  She's alive, she's well and she ain't going nowhere  ;D ;D

http://rfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?topic=630.msg4216#msg4216

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #235 on: October 01, 2009, 22:03 »
That is one big female ... he's not all that small a male ...  

She is a good sized falcon. Mariah is also a substantial size.

Archer at the nest this morning                                         Archer and Beauty together

Beauty, demonstrating her "Don't mess with me" look