Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 87817 times)

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / April
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2010, 17:10 »
Good news......keep up the good work RCF and Rose! :) ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2010, 17:05 »
Yes! Excellent, Rose and RCF! ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2010, 17:03 »
Excellent RCF & Rose!  Zeus does have a black band on his right leg so that jives - and so far, so good!!!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2010, 16:58 »
The male here definitely has a black band on his right leg, couldn't see numbers. Rose got new binoculars and they work pretty good. We did see both falcons go into nest box and we heard them chupping.(sweet nuthins) :-*  He flew away and she did a lot of furniture moving for about five minutes, then she left and he went and rearranged whatever she did.  ::)  We wondered where she went because she flew to north side of building, so went down to the street trying to see if she was on north light. Nope, not there. I did finally spot her, she was on a window ledge in between the two connecting buildings about seven stories up. ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2010, 09:39 »
Yes they would be Rose ... though not sure if Chinook is a male since s/he was the same size as Hurricane and Taku at banding age, and both of them turned out to be females!!

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2010, 08:32 »
Female in Brandon doesn't look to be Hurricane, male does look alot like Zeus though. 
... would be fun if it was one of Hurricane's siblings ....
Yes, it would! ;D
and Hurricanes sibblings would be 1.Chinook male and 2. Mistral (misty) female ?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2010, 21:46 »
Female in Brandon doesn't look to be Hurricane, male does look alot like Zeus though. 
Yes, it would! ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2010, 20:19 »
About 8:15 this morning the male was  perched on north light and he was preening and showing off his legs ::). I can't see close enough with my binocs.  The female was perched on east light sunning herself.  At lunch I went down to 9th and Rosser half a block from McK bldg. At first I thought I wasn't going to see any birds and then I heard a falcon cacking and I looked up and here were two falcons flying overhead. She was hot on his tail feathers just a yelling at him :o he had prey in his talons and they flew around the MTS tower, then they both went into the nestbox. I heard cacking and chupping for about minute or so and then he flew to the MTS tower, she left the nest a few minutes later and I had to go back to work.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2010, 13:29 »
No idea Rose, and there really is no way to know without leg band ids I'm afraid ...

Not too worry though, we will get the band numbers soon enough and we will go from there.  In the meantime, enjoy the hunt/adventure!!!

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2010, 13:15 »
Just got home and saw your post,at first there were no birds to be seen so I walked around the 2 or 3 blocks near the building checked all sides,no birds. Went back to the parkade and was getting into the car and noticed the two falcons flying in from the north the larger one settled onto a mast on the mts tower but I still couldn't see the bands only yellow feet. Rcf usually checks that mast from the parking lot to the east and may be she can get a picture even if it just shows colors. that's about as close as you can get to the birdie.The other day when we saw these two birds, they were fairly close together their backs  looked to be the same colour ( light slate). Hurricane is much darker and by Dennis's photos always looks a little grumpy(just my impression). I guess because she has such a black head and malar stripes. THe other falcon circled around and flew off towards the discovery centre(yum yum ducks and shore birds). ::) So I guess we just keep trying.

do you suppose this might be the falcon we saw about a week before any one else showed up? we only saw it the one afternoon and never saw it again
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 13:21 by Rose »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2010, 11:27 »
Female in Brandon doesn't look to be Hurricane, male does look alot like Zeus though.  The female seemed too large, but I don't know her as well as Rose & RCF.

I really don't know who the female is - thought I saw a silver band on her left leg - Holly has a purple anondized aluminium band on her right leg and her black over green band on her left.  May have been the light and the split second I had to look at it but I would say its someone other than Holly but no idea who until I see that darn band.  Breast looked too barred for Holly (based on Dennis' 2008 photos) so I really don't know ... yet ....

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2010, 20:54 »
LOL, Rose! ;D

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2010, 20:43 »
Stranger from the big city has been working on it but pretty birdies haven't been any more cooperative for her than for us  ;D  

Would "stranger from the big city" happen to be our very own TPC? ;)
I'll never tell ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2010, 20:40 »
Stranger from the big city has been working on it but pretty birdies haven't been any more cooperative for her than for us  ;D  

Would "stranger from the big city" happen to be our very own TPC? ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2010, 19:30 »
I took a photo of birdie on S at Scotia Bank building today at noon.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 19:50 by Rapidcitymbfan »