Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 129724 times)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / July
« Reply #587 on: July 18, 2010, 15:26 »
Rose and I had a good laugh this morning.  ;D  Our girlie had prey on the ledge and a piece fell to the ground, she looked over the edge and started kacking quite loudly as if to say "Mommmm, I dropped my snack!!"  :o   I went across the street to see what fell and it was just a leg with nothing much on it. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #586 on: July 18, 2010, 12:18 »
Great report Rose!

Very happy to hear about Kenzie!

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #585 on: July 18, 2010, 12:12 »
Down town about 10:00am Kenzie still parading up and down the parapet very determinedly and occasionly flying down to roof floor and back up,mom and dad were on mts tower.RCF has a cute little story (with pics) about our little Miss.So far things are looking good! ;D

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #584 on: July 18, 2010, 09:26 »
Rose & RCF, I'm just getting caught up - and I'm so sorry to hear about Mac. :'(

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #583 on: July 17, 2010, 22:55 »
Just read your post and I can hear "the wheels going around" trying to get a plan of action going.  Hopefully all will be fine.  Kenzie is in good hands!  Will be with you in thoughts and waiting for the next info from you tomorrow.  Have a good night. :-*

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #582 on: July 17, 2010, 17:47 »
It was very windy this morning and I really think she didn't fledge intentionally.  ::)  I checked on her before I left Brandon around 4pm, and she was still getting up and down on the lower roof ledge.  It's quite a fly/jump to the ledge from the roof floor and she will have lots of room to practice up there, more room than the nest box.  :) 

Here she is facing east on the ledge

Hurricane on windowsill on north side of bldg, she seems to like this spot

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #581 on: July 17, 2010, 16:54 »
Looks like a race between your Kenzie, and the U of A site guys for fledging today.  Great reporting!
Love your plan of the RCMP involvement.
Hope none of the rescue plans has to happen.  Good luck!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #580 on: July 17, 2010, 16:05 »
Oh boy!  You two must be on edge.  Kenzie is in good hands/eyes though, with you two watching over her.  Hopefully the nasty weather will clear and it'll be smooth "sailing" for your girl.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #579 on: July 17, 2010, 15:17 »
Wow, what a week for you two. :o  Fingers crossed for Kenzie ( and for your nerves. )

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #578 on: July 17, 2010, 15:03 »
Keep us posted ladies! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #577 on: July 17, 2010, 13:08 »
Oh gees...I hope little kenzie will be okay.  Please keep us posted!

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #576 on: July 17, 2010, 13:03 »
Well looks like our little miss has fledged (or got blown of the perch bar). got a panic call from RCF that Kenzie was huddled up to the north corner pillar of the wall that surrounds the lower roof,still up 6 stories. When I got there RCF said Kenzie had been walking on the top of the wall and jumping down to the roof floor and back up again.While we were watching she did some more walking on the parapet she seemed quite confident and strode right out like she really knew what she was doing ::)lol. Finally she settled down on top of the pillar,she was so flat you could hardly see her.We decided as long as she stayed there she was safe, wind still blowing 30ks an hour.Then we discussed what to do if she got down to ground level,Rcf has a box and a towel and we were sure we could handle that part BUT what to do next ???? Dan is away till monday,conservation is of course closed (we did get an emergency number some one must be on call ?? and Tracy is away. WE decided if all else fails we would take her in the box to the police station and have them round someone up after all we are dealing with an endangered species and protected by law.But this  isn't going to happen because she will be just fine. The two small females from last year spent more than a day doing exactly the same thing and in the same place and there were no problems last year. But I'll tell you it's sure nerve wracking!! ::)

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #575 on: July 17, 2010, 08:05 »
Thanks Rose!  Great to know all is well in Brandon this morning.  Your thunder showers must have arrived here shortly afterwards but now I can see the odd blue coming in from the west.  Here on the prairies we all know how fast the blue can disappear.  Appreciate all the updates and RCF your pictures are great ;D ;D ;D Check on this site faithfully. :)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #574 on: July 17, 2010, 07:45 »
Was down town early (6:30) couldn't find Hurricane last evening so thought I'd better check early(just because) ::). All the family was there. Kenzie was in her usual place on top of the nest box,Hurricane on south light and Brooklyn flying around. There was a major piece of prey in the box so she must have had a good breakfast.RCF is getting better with the camera all the time,She'll sure appreciate the comment from Dennis.Had to leave thunder storm almost here, lots of lightning and thunder got home before it rained. Plan to go back a little later. ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 07:47 by Rose »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #573 on: July 17, 2010, 07:40 »
Great captures RCF...TPC had a great idea with the colored tape on the bands, sure makes for easy IDing for you guy's.

Thanks Dennis  :)