Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 94292 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / August
« Reply #722 on: August 11, 2010, 19:49 »
Oh... I think I just might like to move into McKenzie Towers with my husband when we retire!  8) As long as the peregrines are there, of course!  ;D

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #721 on: August 11, 2010, 19:31 »
Very interesting.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #720 on: August 11, 2010, 19:17 »
Here is what is happening in the McKenzie Seeds building over the next couple of years, thought some people may be interested.  Last year, Tracy said the new owners were quite happy about having the Falcons at the site.

http://www.mckenzietowers.ca/index.php

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #719 on: August 06, 2010, 16:48 »
 :'( I'm on vacation and just got the chance to log in to see how things are going.  I am so sad to hear that our little Mackenzie has died.   :'(

RCF and Rose, and all involved, I thank you for your efforts and reports.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #718 on: August 04, 2010, 21:48 »
Thanks for the info regarding the solidification of the pair bond between Brooklyn and Hurricane, TPC!  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #717 on: August 04, 2010, 19:02 »

Yes, our visit was waaaay too short, and it was great to see bccs again!  ;D  And you'll never guess what we were talking about.........well maybe you will, FALCONS of course!  :-* ;D   
I had a couple of co-workers ask me who was that, so I told them they were just a couple falcon phanatics like me!  ;D :-*

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #716 on: August 04, 2010, 16:58 »
RCF and Rose, thanks for making an intense, tough trip fun.   :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #715 on: August 04, 2010, 16:24 »
Thanks for the encouraging post TPC.  That was my first thought too about how P&T recovered and came back the next year better than ever.  I hope it will be that way for this pair too.   :-*

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #714 on: August 04, 2010, 16:20 »
Don't worry about the birds, they will go back to the tower, this is far from the first time workmen have been on the rooftops around the building.  All of our pairs have lots of traffic on rooftops around their nests, its a function of urban nestsites and I have never seen a bird give up on a favoured perch unless its actually removed.  He may not be on the tower as much because he doesn't have to defend the nestbox, he isn't as focussed on the tower OR he could be spending more time closer to Hurricane to reaffirm their pair bond - we've seen on a number of sites with failed nests over the last couple of years and it isn't unusual for the pair to start courting each other again - helps to solidify their pair bond.  And since they don't have chicks to provide for, as hard as that sounds, Hurricane and Brooklyn get to spend their time replenishing the resources they expended producing/providing for/protecting Mac and Kenzie - they have used up alot of their personal resources this year.  When it happened to Trey & Princess in 2008, they were back fast and had three healthy, smart chicks (Ty, Tupper & Vesper) the next year, so its a good bet that is what could happen next year.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #713 on: August 04, 2010, 14:23 »
So glad to hear that you and rcf had a visit with another Winnipeg peregrine phanatic, bccs, Rose! :D And nice to hear your report regarding Brooklyn & Hurricane... I was looking back at the July Brandon thread and I noticed that rcf spoke of some workmen climbing the tower on July 22nd. Is this the same tower that you are speaking about and if so, have they been working on installing the new equipment since then? What buliding is this tower on? I can't remember.  :-\ I don't think it's the MacKenzie Seed Bldg. Is it the building to the right of the MacKenzie Seed Bldg., when looking at it from the parkade? :-\    
Yes this is the same tower, it's on the old MTS building which is directly across the street from the McK building,and there have been workmen there off and on ever since.
 I guess we talked pretty fast, seemed to cover a lot of territory in the 20mins we had with BCCS, it was good to see her again.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #712 on: August 04, 2010, 13:46 »
And it was a grand visit but as Rose said, much too short. Amazing what can be shared in twenty minutes.  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #711 on: August 04, 2010, 11:22 »
So glad to hear that you and rcf had a visit with another Winnipeg peregrine phanatic, bccs, Rose! :D And nice to hear your report regarding Brooklyn & Hurricane... I was looking back at the July Brandon thread and I noticed that rcf spoke of some workmen climbing the tower on July 22nd. Is this the same tower that you are speaking about and if so, have they been working on installing the new equipment since then? What buliding is this tower on? I can't remember.  :-\ I don't think it's the MacKenzie Seed Bldg. Is it the building to the right of the MacKenzie Seed Bldg., when looking at it from the parkade? :-\   

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #710 on: August 04, 2010, 10:11 »
Met BCCS on the Mckenzie Seeds parking lot (RCF's coffee break) had a good but short visit and gossip ;D sure was nice to see her again :)
When I first got down town, Brooklyn was in the nest box but didn't seem to be doing any cleaning lol, Hurricane was perched on the east light and when I was leaving Brooklyn was still at the nest box but on the perch, Hurricane was now on the south light.
 I don't think any one of us has mentioned that there have been workmen installing new equipment on the tower and they were on the tower the day MacKenzie had her accident, since then we have never seen either adult on the tower.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #709 on: August 01, 2010, 14:30 »
Thank you, I kind of thought screeching was one of the reasons he got that name.  ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #708 on: August 01, 2010, 14:04 »
Tracy, I would like to know how Brooklyn got his name and also his Dad, Keener-Skreech.(not sure if spelled correctly) It seems quite an unusual name?

Two stories there, actually three, but I only know the answer to two though I should have the third by the time I'm finished our family trees ...

1) Brooklyn - the young biologist helping out Manitoba Conservation the year Brooklyn was "born" was also expecting his first child.  So he and his wife had chosen two girl's names and two boy's names for their impending offspring.  When we informed this nice young man that he was going to be naming the chicks, he begged us to let him off the hook because he was all wrung out from the offspring name selection process.  We were mean and said no.  He then asked if he could use the names he'd chosen for his child and we said yes, so long as he wasn't superstitious if his child's namesake died.  (He assured us he wasn't but I'm afraid I don't know if they used any of the four names they had chosen at the time the chicks were banded).  Brooklyn was one of the girl's names but it works for a male as well when we took off the second "n".   With a 50-70% mortality rate in the first year, the statistical chances that one name out of a whole nest survives is not great, Brooklyn beat the odds - must of been the removal of the second "n"!

2) Keener-Screech - this is the two story name - I don't know exactly how he got the name "Keener" but I can probably guess given what kind of acrobatics/behaviours are common among peregrine chicks.  As for Screech, when he was paired up with Holly in Brandon for one year (Zeus was on sabbatical) he was ten years old and fully capable of going after Dan on the ladder as well as anyone else on the roof that came near his babies.  He like to scream, more of a screech, as he came for you, bit like a battle cry as he leapt into action.  We didn't remember what his original name was (he was 10 years old when he mated with Holly) so we started calling him Screech - there might have been a couple of expletives in there as well, I can't really remember.  A year or so later, I found is original name in the records and he became hypenated as they both seem to apply - he is keen to beat the crap out of anyone near his chicks and he does screech while he does it!