Manitoba Peregrines > Radisson Peregrines
Radisson - 2009 / Trey & Princess
The Peregrine Chick:
--- Quote from: Three on June 06, 2009, 06:53 ---I think Princess may have lost one of her flight feathers. Certainly none of their prey is that large and, it's my estimation, one of the adults would have removed remnants from the nest box (I'm looking at you Trey).
--- End quote ---
Actually, it looks like a pigeon wing, its definitely more than one feather and if one of the adutls had lost that much, you would see the rest of their body lying there right beside it. Usually they strip the wings off before bring it to the ledge but might have been caught right near the ledge so it was the easiest place to bring it to. Will see what I can see on the video when I get the chance. And actually their prey can get to be bigger than they are - the used to be called Duck Hawks because they really do like ducks (and shorebirds and waterbirds like gulls, etc). Blue and Green-winged teals are probably the size of 1/2 the box and they are regularly caught & carried away by peregrines.
--- Quote from: Three on June 06, 2009, 06:53 ---After last year, it's understandable that we're all a little jumpy. Given that Trey and Princess are great parents, and Tracy's simple but genius nest box solution, I think the babes stand a good chance of fledging.
--- End quote ---
So far so good but this a wild nest with wild birds and subject to wild weather, so I think I'll just keep my fingers crossed until the birds leave in October ... bin seems to be working well though, going to be interesting to see what it (and the chicks in it) look like come banding ...
eagle63_1999:
Right now they are left to themselves and the wing in the chick box. Princess or Trey are out of camera shot. The chicks are flat out on the gravel with legs moving in and out from under them lol
Marie:
AH.......little chick huddle!!!!!.......waiting for lunch
BirdLover:
Good Morning All. Looks like Trey has taken the morning off from housekeeping. Just did a full screen of the cam and there is a LOT of detritus in that box. Including what looks like a wing, or part thereof.
Everyone is looking good this morning though. :D
maggieblue:
There have been at least two feedings this morning and both times the chicks looked just great. ;D ;D Princess has pretty much been keeping them under wraps the rest of the time on this frosty morning.
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
[*] Previous page
Go to full version