Manitoba Peregrines > Radisson Peregrines

Radisson - 2009 / Trey & Princess

<< < (1297/1988) > >>

The Peregrine Chick:

--- Quote from: Pchemist on June 12, 2009, 10:47 ---I imagine folks are using "runt" just to mean the smaller one.  It's possible, and even likely, they are unaware that males are smaller (so we are all assuming that one is male).
--- End quote ---

Except at this age/stage you can't tell gender by size accurately  :)

Loriann:

--- Quote from: Loriann on June 12, 2009, 10:25 ---
--- Quote from: Eye-spy on June 12, 2009, 09:06 ---
--- Quote from: CRae on June 12, 2009, 09:03 ---Feeding time!  I cannot believe how big they're getting.

And hello to everyone!  I've been watching the falcons since last year but this is my first post!  :D

--- End quote ---

HOOORAY and welcome.  Just watch out for the chief trouble makers and bottle drainers on here, like BccS and that Loriann.  Those are the bad kids... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

--- End quote ---

SAY WHAT?   taking my name in vain again.. geeeez.  someone needs a spanking  and its not me, for a change..   :P



--- End quote ---

and hey.. he BccS'd YOU !    hmmm capitlization of 'certain' letters to change 'certain' meanings .. sneaky sneaky..  

The Peregrine Chick:

--- Quote from: Helen b on June 12, 2009, 10:23 ---One questing, when does the chick begin to I think it is call "Fledge"?  The othere intersting thing is that the falcons can mate with their own family.  That was amazing to me.
--- End quote ---


--- Quote from: Pchemist on June 12, 2009, 10:28 ---Fledging is the (hopefully successful) first flight.
--- End quote ---

Pchemist is right, fledging is when each bird takes its first flight.  The male chicks will fly 7-10 days before the females - so between 40 and 55 days all our chicks should fledge ...

As for close familial relationships between mates, it happens - Trey was paired with his mother for 3-4 years.  Ivy was paired with his sister one year but they had trouble with the concept of incubation, as in, "where to I put these eggs?".   Doesn't happen often, but no uncommon either.  And no, we haven't seen any genetic problems, nor would we unless they had scary recessive genes that resulted in a chick with problems - and chances are, the chicks wouldn't have survived long enough to find out it had problems.  Nature is pretty effective that way.

Pchemist:
TPC put a great answer to a Kinderchicklet question that answers this plus a lot more about the boy/girl stuff.  see http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,1002.msg25079.html

I learned a lot from that! 

Saoirse:
Typically, when would the chicks be banded? I understand that's also when we find out which chicks are male and which are female.

I have mixed feelings about the wider angle of the camera -- for me, it's a bit too wide now, preferred the view yesterday, even though it was easier for one or more chicks to get out of range. Probably not possible to find a solution that makes everybody happy, though! And I'm not complaining -- it's great to be able to see this at all. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version