Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

AB / Calgary - U of Calgary - 2009-16

<< < (12/49) > >>

The Peregrine Chick:

--- Quote from: Kinderchick on April 24, 2013, 20:43 ---
--- Quote from: The Peregrine Chick on April 24, 2013, 10:30 ---...And incubation starts after egg #3 has been laid.  Given that egg # 3 was laid on the 21st, Callie is definitely in "hard incubation".  ;)  I'd say look for chicks about the Victoria Day weekend!
--- End quote ---

Didn't remember that "hard incubation" begins after 3rd egg has been laid. What if a PF lays 5 eggs, TPC? Does "hard incubation" always begin after the 3rd egg has been laid? ???

--- End quote ---

4 eggs is a standard number for eggs, the range is from 2 to 5.  Incubation in the majority of cases begins shortly after the penultimate (second to last) egg is laid.  The time between eggs 3 and 4 can be as long 72 hours hours though usually it is much quicker so that all the chicks bake the same amount of time hatch out together.  Weather can influence the start of incubation however - colder and they will get on the eggs after #2, warmer they may not get down to hard incubation for a couple of extra days.  Think of hard incubation as being velcroed to the egg, ie, very little time when one of the parents isn't on them either keep them warm or keeping them from getting too hot.

RCF:
Four eggs!!!  ;D

Kinderchick:

--- Quote from: The Peregrine Chick on April 24, 2013, 10:30 ---...And incubation starts after egg #3 has been laid.  Given that egg # 3 was laid on the 21st, Callie is definitely in "hard incubation".  ;)  I'd say look for chicks about the Victoria Day weekend!
--- End quote ---

Didn't remember that "hard incubation" begins after 3rd egg has been laid. What if a PF lays 5 eggs, TPC? Does "hard incubation" always begin after the 3rd egg has been laid? ???

The Peregrine Chick:

--- Quote from: Kinderchick on April 23, 2013, 19:58 ---1st egg was laid on the 16th, 2nd egg laid on the 18th and 3rd egg laid on the 21st. I'm not absolutely certain but I think Callie is into hard incubation now. :) And Calllie has been positively identified as the resident female at this nestsite, TPC, if you want to update the thread header. However, male has yet to be ID'd.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for confirming the name Kinderchick, will change the thread title.
And incubation starts after egg #3 has been laid.  Given that egg # 3 was laid on the 21st, Callie is definitely in "hard incubation".  ;)  I'd say look for chicks about the Victoria Day weekend!

Kinderchick:
1st egg was laid on the 16th, 2nd egg laid on the 18th and 3rd egg laid on the 21st. I'm not absolutely certain but I think Callie is into hard incubation now. :) And Calllie has been positively identified as the resident female at this nestsite, TPC, if you want to update the thread header. However, male has yet to be ID'd.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version