Author Topic: AB / Calgary - U of Calgary - 2009-16  (Read 33176 times)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Calgary - U of Calgary - 2010 / Gary & Callie
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2010, 10:30 »
I can't get it, either.  The last report from the biologist, Elli Jilek, was on July 16, and gave the impression that they were shutting down, and that if anyone had anything to report about the chicks, they should contact him.

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2010, 23:37 »
I can't get the cam anymore is anyone else having problems?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2010, 01:11 »
July 12th, in the afternoon, one of the males was found on a lower level window ledge and needed to be rescued and placed back into the nestbox.
July 13th, the female appears to have fledged successfully. :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2010, 09:11 »
Thanks for the update, rcf!  :D I still think that one of the males fledged Sunday when we were at the university because we saw the 2 parents on top of the building where the nestbox is located and at the same time we saw one that appeared to look like a juvie over on a lower building ledge, walking back and forth. :-\

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2010, 21:43 »
Great news!  Keep us updated!   ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2010, 20:42 »
July 12 (Monday) : we have lift-off, at least for the two males. The fledglings took off sometime this morning, as all 3 were still on the ledge last night.

More on the Home page blog - http://www.ucalgary.ca/peregrine_falcon/

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 21:21 »
WOW, what a write up.  I'm impressed that they did that!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2010, 20:25 »
CBC has the following write up at
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/07/09/calgary-falcons-chicks-hatched-university.html

Falcon chicks ready for test flights
CBC News / 9 July 2010

Officials are warning people to be on the lookout for crash landings now that two peregrine falcons nesting on top of a building at the University of Calgary have hatched three chicks.  Between July 12 and 16 the young birds are expected to take their first flights off the ledge of Craigie Hall — practice runs that often result in injury, according to wildlife experts.  University officials are asking any passers-by who find an injured fledgling falcon to contact one the following agencies:

• Alberta Fish and Wildlife at 403-297-6423
  • Inglewood Bird Sanctuary. Call the City of Calgary at 311
  • And if a falcon has to be picked up after hours: Campus Security 403-220-5333

The female began laying eggs in late April, and by May 10 Pat Young, a biologist with Alberta Fish and Wildlife, had counted four eggs, the university reported on its peregrine falcon home page.  One of the eggs turned out to be infertile, but the three remaining chicks are in good shape and are being fed and cared for regularly by mom and dad, the website said.  Alberta Fish and Wildlife officers banded the chicks for tracking purposes on June 22.

The univeristy's falcon watchers have set up a live link for people to observe the birds on the internet, however the feed is sporadic because of some ongoing technical problems, they said. "I have had the distinct feeling that they are not so keen on being filmed, as one or more often peck at the camera or the microphone," Elli Jilek said on the website, adding that they sometimes hide behind the camera.

Peregrine falcons are listed as a threatened species. The birds have nested at the university for several years.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2010, 15:56 »
Back from the university. What a morning!  ;D We think we might have witnessed one of the chicks fledge.  :-\ With my new binocs, which I bought here in Calgary, the colouring made me think it was a juvie. He/she flew to the back of the Social Work Bldg., which was lower and appeared to be stuck on a lower ledge. He/she kept walking back and forth along the ledge. We stayed for about an hour and watched him/her. When we got back to our friend's place, we e-mailed Eli with our observations.

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2010, 13:41 »
Oh how wonderful for you to be there sure hope your getting a show from the kids too

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 13:20 »
We're at the university right now. Just watched both parents flying and swooping in the sky above the nestbox. Looks as if mom is on top of the building preparing lunch right now. Feathers are a-flying, everywhere! And lots of squawking going on with both parents! Very exciting to see! ;D 8)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2010, 11:34 »
We arrived in Calgary yesterday afternoon and will be here till tomorrow morning. We are just about to head down to the university to see if we can locate the nestbox. Will post later if we see anything.  8)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 15:37 »
When I watching , one of them kept bumping into the camera making it shake. ::) ;D

::)  

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2010, 19:59 »
What a wingspan!!   8)  Thanks kittenface

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2010, 19:56 »