Author Topic: AB / Calgary - U of Calgary - 2009-16  (Read 33381 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Calgary - U of Calgary - 2011 / Gary & Callie
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2011, 07:22 »
Thanks for posting this, rcf! :-* I missed these hatches. ::) Darn. Can't be everywhere, but sure do wish I could! ;) LOL!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2011, 22:11 »
From the website--June 1st: We have twins so far! Saw some discarded egg shell via the web cam, so went up and took a pic (soon to be posted) of our first 2 chicks that hatched between yesterday afternoon and this morning. Mom was nearby, giving me the evil eye (as per usual). If the other eggs hatch, then it will happen in the next couple of days. Stay tuned for final count.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2011, 14:06 »
First hatch at this site is expected around May 28th. :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2011, 22:03 »
Yes.  Thanks RCF!!  Truly wonderful!   :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2011, 17:36 »
Thanks for the photo, rcf! :) One of these days I will have to learn how to capture photos from webcams. :-[

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2011, 14:14 »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2011, 14:04 »
A 4th egg was laid around May 2nd at U of C nestbox and apparently mom is now into hard incubation, with a hatch date around May 28th. :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2011, 19:42 »
Finally, the U of C FalconCam is working again, with sound. :D Just saw one of the falcons incubating but not sure which one. :-\

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2011, 19:58 »
Another egg was laid at this nestbox today, I guess in honour of the Royal Wedding. :) Triplets now. But I'm still having trouble getting the webcam to work. Anyone else? :-\ bcbird, I need your help. :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2011, 14:59 »
Just read the update on the U of C webpage... Both parents have been identified, but it didn't say who they are. First egg was laid on April 25th and second egg was laid on April 26th. :) Will try to find out who the parents are.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2011, 20:52 »
Yesterday's news from the U of Calgary PF website...

April 14: our live web cam feed is now up and running (fingers crossed it stays that way). It is on the ledge, near their scrape, and will hopefully stay intact. Last year the young chicks often pecked at the camera lens and even managed to knock it over several times, making more trouble for me to fix it each time. It is now in a more stable container and although nothing is 'happening' right now, eggs should soon be laid, if all goes well.

To access the live feed, click on 'live video' link above and then hit the 'play' option.

This is a great webcam, with great sound. I just went there and I saw a peregrine working on a scrape, at the moment. :D

Here is the link - http://www.justin.tv/lcrweb?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=www.ucalgary.ca#/w/1081790864/18

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2011, 13:28 »
News today from the U of Calgary Peregrine Falcon website home page...

Since March 21 is the first official day of spring, it was only fitting that the first appearance of a peregrine falcon was on that day. (as far as I know). I saw it (him/her) sitting on the usual spot - top south-west facing window ledge of the Social Sciences bldg., so it may be a returning adult.

A few days later Campus Security also confirmed that they had seen 2 falcons on the Craigie Hall nest ledge, which is terrific news. Let's hope that they are mature adults that will be able to produce eggs.

One or 2 peregrines are usually on or near the ledge, and with the new TFDL (Taylor Family Digital Library) slowly being opened up to the public, the 6th floor (south-facing) will be a great place from which to watch falcon activities.

Apparently, a live webcam feed is in the works and should be up before too long! :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Calgary - U of Calgary - 2011 / Gary & Callie
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2011, 19:44 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

A few days ago, I wrote to Elli Jilec, whom I think is the biologist looking after the University of Calgary site. I received the following reply from her today...

I only got back to work today, and have read your message. It is nice to know that my web page is being viewed and used by so many out there....

Our first falcon came back March 21st - appropriately I guess, and I have had another confirmation that 2 were seen by Security (they have their cameras on various buildings) this past Friday. They were on their usual ledge, so it looks good so far. Time will tell if they are a pair, productive and mature adults.

I will be updating my page soon, and this is the best place for any info you need. You can use anything that I post, as it is for the general public. As for the web camera, that is being worked on as we speak. I am not sure what or when I can have one put in place, as we have several issues, incl. a new bldg. opposite the ledge now, and thus, have to make adjustments. This will also be announced on the web page, so stay tuned.

Thanks again for your interest and for doing the work you and others do also. We are all just supporters of our feathered friends.....

Elli

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Alberta / Calgary - U of Calgary - 2015-16 / Gary & Callie
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2011, 20:09 »
Craigie Hall, U of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta

(photos:  building from University of Calgary; nest ledge (light dot is a peregrine) by Greg Harris/University Gazette)

(photos:  nest ledge from BCAW via RCF; chick being returned to ledge through wall by Greg Harris/University Gazette)

Originally named Calgary Hall when it was built in 1965, Craigie Hall was renamed after the untimely death of former Vice-President (Academic) Peter C. Craigie in 1987. The Craigie Hall complex is comprised of a number of adjoined buildings. Here you will find the Boris Roubakine Theatre and the Matthews Theatre. Craigie Hall is home to the Program of Dance and the Departments of Drama, Music, French, Italian and Spanish, and Germanic, Slavic and East Asian Studies.

webcam: http://www.ucalgary.ca/peregrine_falcon/video

Resident Pairs & Offspring:
  • 2013 - Gary & Callie --> ?
  • 2012 - Gary & Callie --> Jasper (m), A89 (m) & Louise (f)
  • 2011 - Gary & Callie --> Bert (m) & Allie (f)
  • 2010 - Gary & Callie --> ?
  • 2009 - Gary & Callie --> ?
  • 2008 - Gary & Callie --> ?
  • 2007 - Gary & Callie --> ?
  • 2006 - Gary & Callie --> ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 17:42 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Calgary - U of Calgary - 2010 / Gary & Callie
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2010, 16:08 »
Haven't been able to get this webcam lately, either.  :-\

I can't get it, either.  The last report from the biologist, Elli Jilek, was on July 16, and gave the impression that they were shutting down, and that if anyone had anything to report about the chicks, they should contact him.

Actually Elaine, when I read the last blog report from July 16th, they seemed to imply that they were going to leave the webcam in place and running until the birds leave the region, since they often come back to the nestledge/box after fledging. Perhaps it's down because one of the birds knocked it out again.  ??? This seems to have been an occasional occurance at this site.